? ??????????????????? ????Easy Install Instructions:???1. Copy the Code??2. Log in to your Blogger account
and go to "Manage Layout" from the Blogger Dashboard??3. Click on the "Edit HTML" tab.??4. Delete the code already in the "Edit Template" box and paste the new code in.??5. Click "S BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Dress?

In less than a month I am performing my cello solo with the Dubuque Symphony. I am very excited for it, I am nearly prepared for it [musicality wise], I'm still getting some last minute planning things done, but the biggest thing right now is the big famous question: But what shall I wear?

I like dress shopping, it can be very fun. Unfortunately, this time, there are more standards than the usual "must be long enough and it must have sleeves and a decent neck length". This time the standards are very picky and very required. They are:
Wide and Long enough skirt to play cello in.
Flexible enough on top/sleeves to be able to play cello in.
No flowy sleeves. Those get distracting when playing. To both me and the audience.
Fall colors - it's at the end of October, so I can't wear my periwinkle dress. Which is a perfect performance dress. Just not for this time of year. :(
It absolutely cannot be strapless because wearing a strapless dress and playing the cello makes you look naked. Plus the whole modesty thing anyway.
Age appropriate. Duh.
Stage appropriate. This is vital. I can't go out there and perform in just any old prom dress. Too much detail will be too distracting. The symphony is wearing tuxedos, and I've talked with them and they say if they're wearing tuxes, then I need to be a step above them, but not like I'm fairy queen of the world. Also, the way I see it, my piece is a very intense piece of music and I don't want to over power it with my outfit. I do however, want to compliment it.

So, we've been looking around at all of the stores in Dubuque with no luck. Alyson B. however is simply wonderful and pulled out a skirt that is just my size, that is also perfect for playing cello in, AND it's gorgeous. It's a deep chocolate brown and it's tucked in in places, kind of like Belle's skirt from Beauty and the Beast, but not as even, and less detailed. More poofy. With this skirt we think some kind of a wrap top would go well with it. We just have to figure out what will and what won't go with it.
That however, may be too hard to do in less than a month. So we've been searching online for dresses, too, and these are a few that I have found that are under $200.

This first dress is an "ink" color, a very dark blue. It also comes in a deep royal red. It would more than likely be too long, so what I think we would do is trim the bottom and hem it, and with the extra material continue on with the little sleeve they have in a very similar way to what we did with my prom dress.


This next one is beautiful (look at the back!) and would work very well. It's on the higher range of what I'm willing to pay for though, which is kind of a downer. It also doesn't quite grab my heart the way this skirt that I have does.



This next one is red, but it comes in various other colors. If I got it, I would get it in either Burgandy or Gold. I would also most likely have to bring the skirt up a bit (I have extremely short legs - any height that I have is from my averaged length abdomen and neck!), and it could possibly work into more of a sleeve on the top. It's so pretty, but I do wonder if it's borderline too formal... but the price is GREAT.

0 comments: